Conor McGregor says he is ‘still interested’ in fighting ‘true warrior’ Diego Sanchez

Conor McGregor has reiterated his desire to one day fight UFC veteran Diego Sanchez despite his unanimous decision loss to Jake Matthews at Saturday’s UFC 253’s card on ‘Fight Island’.

Sanchez was outpointed on all three scorecards by a score of 30-26 against Australia’s Matthews but it was a typically gritty performance by the longest-tenured fighter on the UFC roster and McGregor posted to Twitter that he sees Sanchez as being a pioneer of the sport, and that it would be an “honour” to fight him.

The Dubliner also took a shot at some sections of MMA media for what he sees as a lack of disrespect for Sanchez.

“I am still interested in a fight with you somewhere down the line Diego Sanchez,” McGregor wrote.  “A true warrior and pioneer of this sport. It would be my honour! Some journalists and promoters and their lack of respect for what the fighters put into this game make me sick. Things must change!”

Meanwhile, McGregor also addressed UFC president Dana White on social media in the days after he posted screengrabs of communication between the two in which McGregor floated the idea of fighting Sanchez in Dublin, and rubbished assertions that he had “turned down fights”. He also detailed that he wanted to fight Justin Gaethje in May, as well as saying that White had been notified of talks regarding McGregor’s recently-announced boxing match with Manny Pacquaio.

“Code was broke when you lied about me turning down fights mate,” McGregor said in a tweet. “I said Justin in May and you went and said I did not want to fight. It’s not about Diego. Diego was a filler to get more fights in. Also you have been involved in Manny talks the legal letters are there. Stop lying.”