If Nick Diaz does indeed return early next year from what will have been a six-year absence from the cage, Darren Till says he wants to be the man to roll out the red carpet for his comeback.
It was revealed yesterday that the 37-year-old Diaz had completed a 14-week training regimen and conducted a test weight cut ahead of planned return in 2021 for what would be the Stockton native’s first fight since a ‘no contest’ with Anderson Silva in January 2015.
At that point, Darren Till was still an 11-0 pro making his living in South America and was about six months away from his UFC debut. In the year’s which have followed, Liverpool’s Till has become one of the more popular fighters in the UFC, making his way to world title contender status and headlining cards on three different continents.
And, as he wrote on Twitter Monday, he says he is the ideal dance partner for the returning Diaz.
“If @nickdiaz209 wants to come back & scrap, who’s the biggest star, fight & best fight for him outside the Middleweight champ.? Fucking me that’s who…,” Till wrote online.
There will be no shortage of potential opponents should Diaz’s comeback be made official. The UFC had previously explored a potential bout between he and Jorge Masvidal before his younger brother Nate eventually took the fight — but it remains to be seen if the UFC would entertain a fight between Nick and Till, given the Englishman is now a card-carrying member of the middleweight division.
It sure would be fun, though.